Thursday, January 27, 2011

10th Anniv Trip - Jan 27 Toulon, France

Bonjour!! We are now in France! The city of Toulon is located in southern France on the Mediterranean coast and is a large military harbor and a major naval base, the French Mediterranean Fleet is based here in Toulon. Before we departed the ship we had breakfast on the lido deck next to one of the pools. There were tons of fruit creations, this is one of them. Toulon is very clean and visitor friendly. The buildings are very close to each other, enough for a horse to pull a small carriage. We saw tons of motorcylces, vespas and other small vehicles.
We walked around the downtown area and found the Opera House built in 1862.
There were fountains everywhere, we easily saw over 20 fountains. Here is one of them named Place de la Liberte, it is located in this large square.
We have seen some funny signs on this trip, mostly translation errors. This one is from MacDonald's...we're not sure what a "chicken shake" is but it looks like chicken strips.
Pain anyone??I guess after a few drinks the tattoo's don't hurt as much? After walking around and seeing crepe carts on every corner I finally got one. Adam and I found this little square that had food carts, tables to relax at and more fountains. I got a crepe and he got some bread. The crepe was good, filled with chocolate, but I prefer the ones my mother-in-law makes. That night for dinner was lots of different types of seafood. As Americans, we're used to crab, scallops and lobster. But tonight we were introduced to "other" types of seafood that the Italians adore. Adam had the dish below. I bravely ate something that had 8 tentacles, proof is on the video:

Us at dinner.


1 comment:

Cathy Lewis said...

I'm very impressed that you ate it! I couldn't have done it. Enjoying your trip notes and pictures.