Saturday, August 29, 2009

Family Vacation - Part 5 (finale)

We are still in the Yosemite area and having a great time. Today's agenda is going to the Yosemite National Park! Bad news, we are located about 20 minutes form the north gate BUT because of a fire in that area the gate is CLOSED! So we will be taking a detour to go to the south/west exit instead.
We had pancakes for breakfast and then the girls got silly before we got ready to leave.
The detour drive sucked. It took us over 2.5 hours to get to the other gate. The road was very curvy. Peyton threw up in the car and had diarrhea. I got car sick and almost threw up. Katie got car sick and threw up. Meg felt ill. Adam was fine.

We entered the park and drove to the first picnic area to park and GET OUT OF THE CAR!! Meg got out and threw up in a bush while Adam held her hair. Then Adam, Meg & Katie walked to the river while I changed Peyton's nasty diaper and cleaned her face. Ew.
Peyton and I then started walking towards Adam and M & K by the river, there was a huge riverbed of rocks with the amazing granite as a backdrop. Peyton was so cute, she was calling out to 'Dada' and running to him.
Peyton hates being left out of anything Meg & Katie do.
Here is a pic of them with El Captain in the background.
I got a few pics of the girls with the beautiful scenery.
Peyton ran around with Adam while Meg & Katie got their feet wet in the cold river.
We then got back in the car and drove around the park. Most of the falls were dry, but that's what we get when we come in August. We stopped at the Village and had lunch, played with squirrels and relaxed. Then we drove over the to Upper and Lower Falls. They were dry but we decided to walk up to the falls anyways. On the way Katie found this huge rock and was in awe. She kept talking about the big rock the rest of the trip. Here is a pic of Katie (bottom center in front of the rock).
We walked all the way to the falls and it was 99% dry, we could see a very light drizzle coming down the rocks but the water didn't show up in any of the pics.
The walking paths were so peaceful. There wasn't a lot of people there. The girls held hands and sang songs (loudly, but no one was around to be annoyed).
Did I mention how much Peyton enjoyed not being in a stroller???
When we got back to the main road where our car was we came across a deer. I had the girls sit on a bench and then Adam went up closer to video.
The girls sat so quietly and just watched the deer for a few minutes, then the deer jumped over the railing, across the street and ran into the field behind the cars.

Last photo op in Yosemite Valley.
The trip back to the RV park was a little easier on our stomachs but took almost 3 hours. We had pizza for dinner and went home the next day.
Overall, the entire trip was great. I really enjoyed Solvang. I would go back to Big Sur when it's warmer, the river was really cold. And we've been to Yosemite before, but the springtime is better for the waterfalls. I got tons of great pics of my three little girls.
Complaints: bugs, no cell service, I ate way to many smores and I should have brought more books to read.

No comments: