We all know the song about the five little monkeys jumping on the bed, except my little monkey (aka Kaitlyn) didn't bump her head...instead she broke her right arm!!!
So here's how it happened. It's Thursday evening, Adam usually has class Thursday nights so the girls and I have pizza and watch a 'movie' just us girls. Well, Adam is in London so whether he was 15 minutes away or 12 hours it didn't matter, it was still 'movie' night. So we had dinner and around 8 o'clock I started to give the girls showers in my bathroom.
Anyway, Meg was first because her hair takes longer to dry and when she's done she can dry and get dressed by herself while I shower Katie. So I'm rinsing the conditioner out of Meg's hair while Katie (butt-naked, waiting her turn) is jumping on my bed. I yell at her and warn her to stop, so she she stops, and when I turn my head away she starts jumping again.
Well, in the corner of my eye I see her fall hands first to the floor, and I will admit it, I laughed at first (I'm such a terrible mom) and told her she shouldn't have been jumping!! Then her SCREAM, and I do mean SCREAM. I have never heard her cry out like that. She was lying on the floor facing up with her right arm twisted back stuck between the box spring and the bed frame (I have a sleigh bed). I dropped the shower wand and ran the 5 steps to Katie, I tried to dislodge her but I had to lift her body upside down in order to get her arm out (remember: she's naked). Her arm was red and hot, and hung there limp like. The middle had a noticeable bump and Katie wailed when I touched it.
I first called Atalie, Adam's sister who is a nurse. No answer. So I then called my mother-in-law Babette, I told her I thought Katie may have broken her arm and she said she would be there in 15 minutes and to get Katie ready to go to the ER. (My mom is in San Francisco visiting my sister, so I couldn't call her, and did I mention Adam is in London, England!!)
I got Katie into some panties and a nightgown and set her on the couch with an ice pack while I grabbed her medical card and blanket. Katie was now complaining about her wrist and was crying in pain. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law Morgan (14) came over. Babette looked at Katie's arm and thought it was broken too. So they stayed to watch Meg and Peyton.

(Pics from my camera phone)
Katie and I got to Hoag Hospital's ER which has free valet (love it, I just pulled up to the entrance, got Katie and walked right in. I didn't have to find parking and walk a distance caring her in). Long story short, we were there almost 5 hours, Katie had x-rays taken and it was broken. Atalie was able to join us at the ER and help. They put Katie in a full arm splint and sent us home. They advised that she sleep with me tonight and see an orthopedic surgeon in the morning to cast her.

It was a rough night. We got home around 1:15 in the morning, relieved Babette and Morgan to go home, I sent Adam an email about Katie and went to bed around 1:45am. Adam saw the email and called me after 2am. Katie woke me up around 4am screaming and trying to get her splint off, I had to hold her close to me and keep her arms apart and rock her back to sleep. Peyton woke me up at 6:30am and then I had to get Meghan up for school and get her to school on time.

Katie is right-handed, so eating cereal was a task for her left hand. Toast was easier to eat.
Katie (with her Puppy), Peyton and I went to an orthopedic surgeon on Friday afternoon. He looked at her x-rays and said she would need a full arm cast. Because she is 3, she will attempt to get the cast off, and if the cast was below the elbow because of how little her arm is she would be very successful in getting it off. But if her arm is in a full arm cast, she can't get it off, she can try, but it won't work.
The nurse cut her splint off. Katie was so happy to have it off, she jumped off the table and started to walk out the door and said "thank you, see ya later". I had to grab her and put her back on the table.
The nurse had to hold her arm in a certain angle which Katie didn't like. She wrapped her arm and asked Katie to pick a color for her cast...of course, she choose pink!!
Here is Katie with her Puppy and her pink cast. She is to have the cast from 5 to 6 weeks.
P.S. Katie broke her right Radius (the bone that connects to your thumb side, her wrist was fine probably just sprained)
2 comments:
Poor Katie, but equally poor you. I am so proud of you, Andrea, and how you handled the situation. Loved the pictures.
Oh my! So sorry to hear about your ordeal. You're a great mom, so glad for helpers close by. We recently had our own visit to an ER, but only for stiches, and I too was greatful for family close by to run to our rescue. Hope Katie feels better and hangs in there!
Post a Comment